Center of mass, also known as center of gravity, may be located using the following process:
- Create the structural model and run analysis.
- Use "Display > Show Tables" command to export, into Excel, the following tables:
- Model Definition > Connectivity Data > Joint Coordinates > Table: Joint Coordinates
- Analysis Results > Joint Output > Joint Masses > Table: Assembled Joint Masses
- In Excel, calculate the location of the center of mass (com) for each coordinate direction. Use a weighted average in which assembled joint mass is the weight. For example, the x-coordinate of center of mass (xcom) may be calculated as follows:
- x = x coordinate of individual joints
- m = mass of individual joints