SAP2000 can perform Moment curvature analysis. This is done using the Section Designer (SD) utility built into the program. We recommend using Version 12, since numerous improvements have been made over Version 11, especially for prestressed sections.
The procedure is as follows for V12:
- Create a new model or open an existing model. If you are only interested in the moment-curvature analysis, any model will do.
- Define > Materials, and use the Add Material Quick button to define the Concrete, Rebar, and Tendon materials you will be using.
- Define > Section Properties > Frame Sections
- Add New Property > Other > Section Designer
- Select the concrete base material, then click the Section Designer button
- In SD (Section Designer), Draw > Caltrans > Round, then click on the grid to place the shape
- Right-click on the shape, adjust dimensions, set the rebar to zero, click the Edit button for Prestress in the table, and fill out the data, OK, OK.
- Draw > Solid Shape > Circle, and click on the grid to place the shape away from your Caltrans shape.
- Right-click on the shape, change the material to OPENING, adjust the diameter, set the location to center on the Caltrans shape.
- Display > Show Moment-Curvature curve, set the axial force (compression is negative) and bending angle to plot various moment-curvature curves.
- Click the Details button to get a report.
- There’s a lot here. Use F1 to get HELP.
The developed section can be further used for [kb:Pushover analysis].