Tension-only elements can be modeled using all versions of ETABS. The process is as follows:
- Select the elements to be specified as tension-only.
- Specify the tension limit (usually a limit higher than expected maximum tension capacity) and a compression limit of zero (or negative) through Assign > Frame/Line > Tension/Compression Limits.
- Define and Run a nonlinear static or nonlinear time-history analysis. This is necessary since tension-only assignment is a nonlinear feature.
- Select the case(s) through Define > Convert Combos to Nonlinear Cases
- Add the nonlinear case(s) to a user-defined combination with a scale factor of 1.0.
- For design you can, apply the nonlinear combination as design load.
- Perform design.
Please note that response-spectrum analysis only applies to linear systems. Further, response-spectrum loads cannot be converted to nonlinear cases.
- Tension and compression limits article